Once upon a time on a cold morning in January, 45 minutes away from home we sat in the quiet office of our favorite, best tax lady ever. “What should I put as your occupation”? Asked the elegant woman who was thin, smiley, had shiny red nail polish and wore lots of pretty rings. I was still distracted by the neatness, warmth and fresh sent of the environment. “Excuse me”? I asked. She turns all the way around in her luxurious office chair. “Your occupation”? she repeats, with a smile. “Oh! Umm…Uh, you can just put homemaker”! I said it as if there were anything ‘just‘ about it. My first born was only 2 months old and I had just given up my teaching career the summer prior. I had never before had to answer that question without a professional occupation, so I was taken by surprise!
As I recalled this experience it braught to mind a Mom who once had her taxes done and upon informing her tax preparer that she was “just a stay-at-home mom”, the preparer entered “Domestic engineer”. I bet that Momma floated right out of that office that day! As for me, I went home remembering that I hadn’t even changed my Facebook status 😄 Only mine went from “Private School Teacher at XYZ” to “Family Child Care Provider” because shortly after, I obtained a license to run a Home Daycare.
I became inspired to elaborate this post for you after having repeatedly come across the Moms wanting to know what they can put down on their Facebook job description without being…”basic”. There are countless clever ways to describe the best job in the world and we aren’t limited to Facebook, even though it is clearly the ideal place to be smart like that😉 But whether your doing taxes, writing a resume or updating your About page, never be ashamed to place any of the following titles!
1. Management at Domestic Engineer
2. Child Development Associate
3. Domestic Goddess
4. (family last name) Empire Queen
5. Tiny Human’s Personal Assistant
6. Baby Wrangler
7. Tiny Human’s Snack Dispenser
8. Tiny Human’s Portable Waste Bin
9. Dwelling Custodian
10. The Lady of Many Hats
11. (family last name) Residence Chief Operator
12. Domicile Chief Executive Officer
13. Captain Save-a-Rascal at Everywhere
14. Home Executive
15. Household Coordinator
16. Head Commander in Charge
17. Director of Operations at (family last name) Household
18. (Child’s Name) or (family last name) Fan Club President
19. Domestic Manager
20. Master’s and Ph. D in Patience
21. Little Human Waste Management
22. Tantrum Negotiator
23. Search and Rescue all Things Small
24. Champion at Toddler Wrestling
25. Social Secretary at Play Date Planning
26. Pinky-Promise Secret Keeper
27. Tiny Human Entertainer
28. Wonder Woman
29. Technician at Human Raising
30. Homemaker by Day, Goddess by Night!
Next time someone asks you what you do, I DARE YOU to fill them in with one of these brilliant titles! I would love to hear about the look on their face. Some will even change their degree of respect for you like the Stay-at-Home Momma who was personally ushered like a queen after she said she was a “Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations” upon revealing her occupation to renew her driver’s license.
In the mean time, were you able to decide what to add?? Let me know in the comments and mention whether you have any ideas for a quick witted response I may not have mentioned!
Like What You See? “Like” and “Follow” Latina Wife and Mom Life